Guidelines effective as of September 2019
As a courtesy to residents ONLY within the Borough Limits of Northumberland, the Borough Street Department provides brush collection service.
Brush will be picked up the 2nd Wednesday of each month from April through November and after severe storms.
Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply will result in your brush NOT being accepted for pickup. Please call the Borough Office at 570-473-3414 with any questions.
Routine Monthly Brush Pickup
1. Be placed curbside no sooner than the weekend before, or later than 7:00 AM on the pickup day (Wednesday).
2. Be less than 4 feet long, no larger than 4 inches diameter; stacked neatly with butts all on one end.
3. Originate from resident’s property ONLY.
4. Weeds, sticks, twigs, and leaves may be placed in an orderly pile or in an unlined can.
Brush must NOT:
1. Be bagged. It will NOT be picked-up if it is in plastic bags.
2. Include, stumps, vines, grass clippings, sod, roots or root balls.
3. Be located where it restricts drainage such as in a gutter line or covering an inlet grate.
4. Be located where it impedes vehicular and or walking traffic in the street or sidewalk.
5. Include trash, nails, building materials, dirt or rocks.
6. Be tied with string, twine, wire or any other material.
7. Be left by a commercial tree removal or trimming company. If cut by one of these companies, it should remove it as part of their contract with the resident.
*GRASS CLIPPINGS: Experts in lawn care recommend that clippings be left on the lawn to absorb back into the soil or composted with other natural yard waste. They will NOT pick up any grass clippings.
The amount of time spent at any one residence should not exceed 2 minutes. In that amount of time, the street department should be able to empty several cans or pick up a bundle of limbs.